One of the most notable directors to serve Motherwell Football Club, James Taggart had a background in the Scottish motor trade having founded his Taggart’s Motor Group company in 1896 alongside one of his close friends.
The company of course was born in Motherwell initially as a cycle shop but over the years it would enjoy growth with a number of dealerships throughout Lanarkshire, one of the Motherwell locations was of course located just a stones throw away from Fir Park at the edge of Knowetop Avenue.
James would join the clubs board in 1926 and would remain at their until 1949 thereby being instrumental in the sides finest spell in which they won the league championship in 1931/32 and a number of the talented players would go on to receive international honours with Scotland. The league title was massively significant in that it broke the Old Firm monopoly which had stretched back 28 years, the club had been knocking on the for a number of years as manager John ‘Sailor’ Hunter had assembled a quality side.
James Taggart died in October 1955 having served the club for almost 25 years, aged 83 he was still a joint managing director at his own business at the time of his death, he certainly remains one of the most prominent directors in Motherwell’s history.