Tuesday 1st February 2005

The club’s long wait to sample another cup final finally ended when Hearts were defeated 3-2 in the League Cup Semi Final at Easter Road. In an exciting encounter ‘Well managed to take the lead through a first half Stephen Craigan header, a second half Richie Foran penalty seemed to seal the tie that was until Mark Burchill pulled one back on the 85th minute before equalising a short time later through Halmar Thorarinsson which sent the game into extra time. Their was little to separate the sides in extra time and a penalty shoot out looked likely, as the game went into the 120th minute Scott McDonald fed the ball through to youngster Marc Fitzpatrick who drove through on goal and arrowed a low shot past Craig Gordon which sparked bedlam amongst the ‘Well support as the side got to look forward to their first final in 14 years.

Monday 1st February 2010

Highly rated winger, Paul Slane signs for Celtic for an undisclosed fee. He had broken into the side as a 17 year old at the start of the season, despite making quite an impression in Motherwell’s Europa League campaign he was injured in the first game of the SPL season. As his contract was coming to an end the club tried to extend it but he opted to head to Parkhead when the Glasgow side came calling. Chairman John Boyle questioned his disloyalty throughout the process.

Sunday 2nd February 1997

Alex McLeish states that he was eager to sign Paul Kane from Norwegian club Viking Stavanger but only on a free transfer. He had recently been on trial with the club.

Monday 2nd February 2015

Motherwell fans are treated to an exciting transfer deadline day as a quartet of new signings would arrive: Nathan Thomas (Plymouth Argyle), Conor Grant (Everton), George Long (Sheffield United) and Marvin Johnson (Kidderminster Harriers). These additions were added to Anthony Straker, Louis Laing and Stephen Pearson who had arrived a few weeks earlier in the window.

Saturday 4th February 1911

The 9,000 fans that filed into Fir Park finally seen a Motherwell side defeat Celtic in a competitive fixture. A double from Wattie Brand was enough to secure the victory in what was the fifteenth attempt. In the previous fixtures the side managed to get a few draws but they were also on the end of some heavy defeats.

Saturday 6th February 1960

12,599 fans were in attendance to see an exciting game of football as ‘Well hosted Hibernian at Fir Park, Andy Weir notched a double and Ian St John also got on the scoresheet but it still didn’t stop the men from Edinburgh from winning 4-3. The occasion was notable as this was the first time BBC cameras had arrived at Fir Park as they were their to gather footage for football highlights.

Wednesday 6th February 2002

Midfielder, Gavin Strachan arrives at the club on loan from Coventry City. He is the son of former Aberdeen, Manchester United and Leeds United player Gordon Strachan. He had been on loan at Dundee a few years previously but at Fir Park he became the forgotten man as he made no appearances for the club.

Monday 6th February 1984

Manager, Bobby Watson finally got to enjoy a win as Motherwell manager when the side defeated Queen’s Park 3-0 in a Scottish Cup tie, Having taken charge of the club against Hibernian for the first time in November of last year the side had failed to win any of their previous ten fixtures.

Friday 7th February 1997

Alex McLeish signs 23 year old Finland international Simo Valakari from FinnPa.

Wednesday 8th February 2023

After resigning from his role on the 12th of January, it is announced that CEO Alan Burrows will be taking up a role at Aberdeen at the end of the month.

Saturday 9th February 2002

Frenchman, David Ferrere makes his Motherwell debut when he comes on as a substitute at half time against Hibernian at Fir Park. Little was known about the pint sized midfielder but what an impression he would make. As the ‘Well scored scored four goals in the second half, Ferrere netted a hat trick by scoring three near identical goals, Dirk Lehmann added the other. He would fail to score for the club again and he would be one of many players to depart a matter of months later when the club was placed into administration.

Saturday 10th February 2018

Academy graduate, David Turnbull makes his first team debut coming on as a late substitute in a 2-0 win over Dundee at Dens Park in a Scottish Cup tie.

Saturday 11th February 2023

Stevie Hammell is sacked from the managers role a short time after falling to a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Raith Rovers at Stark’s Park in a Scottish Cup tie. Despite a promising start to the season things quickly derailed. He was unfortunate with the injury situation at the club but despite being well backed in the January transfer window the last three performances of his reign against St Johnstone, Aberdeen and Raith had the alarm bells ringing.

Saturday 14th February 1998

‘Well met Rangers in a Scottish Cup tie at Fir Park, the Steelmen put in a hard graft and were reaping the rewards as they led 2-1 thanks to a goal from Tommy Coyne and a Richard Gough own goal. On the 83rd minute keeper Stevie Woods made a horrific mistake by dithering with a pass back and when he eventually kicked the ball it went straight to Rangers forward Gordon Durie who made no mistake and equalised. As the old adage goes when you play the Old Firm in a cup tie, you rarely get a second chance and this proved to be the case as the side were beaten 3-0 at Ibrox only a matter of days later.

Saturday 15th February 1992

‘Well’s reign as Scottish Cup holders was abruptly ended by a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Rangers at Ibrox. The side had put on a marvellous first half display which saw them lead the tie 1-0 thanks to a long low driven shot by Phil O’Donnell which deceived Andy Goram, but they couldn’t build upon it despite countless efforts. Rangers forward Alexei Mikhailichenko managed to score a double which helped them progress to the next round.

Saturday 15th February 1997

The first Lanarkshire Derby between Motherwell and Hamilton since April 1989 would take place at Fir Park as the sides met in the Scottish Cup. ‘Well went one up thanks to a goal from Owen Coyle but Gary Clark managed to equalise for the Accies on the 69th minute, the side struggled to keep their tricky winger Jose Quitongo at bay and the match finished all square. No mistake was made in the replay on the 26th February when the sides met at Broadwood, Coyle netted in the 1st and 77th minute to seal a 2-0 win.

Thursday 19th February 2009

Motherwell make their way to Paisley to face St Mirren in the replay of the Scottish Cup Fourth Round after the sides had drawn the original tie 1-1 at Fir Park. The game was shown live on TV as Billy Mehmet’s late winner secured a 1-0 win for the Buddies. The occasion was notable as this was the first time the side had played at the new St Mirren Park, 4,555 fans were in attendance.

Monday 20th February 1933

The Motherwell board were far from happy with an incident that occurred in the second half against Rangers on 11th February, when ‘Well’s keeper Alan McClory was sent off. Sam English the Rangers forward violently barged the ‘Well keeper who retaliated. Conveniently the referee Mr J.Hudson (Glasgow) missed the initial challenge from Gers man (not much has changed on that front many decades later). The club received a copy of the Referees report which stated on the incident “During the second half I ordered A. McClory off the park for deliberately kicking English, the centre forward of Rangers”.

Thursday 20th February 1997

Midfielder Andy Roddie signs for Swedish side Ljungskile SK after a trial. This was the start of a peripatetic career which would see him also play in Northern Ireland, Iceland, England and Hong Kong.

Wednesday 21st February 1951

Manager, George Stevenson contacted Hearts manager Tommy Walker about the possible transfer of Bobby Flavell and made an offer of £5,000 for his services. Flavell had been transfer listed by the Tynecastle club due to his actions of going to Columbia to play for Millonarios in a breakaway league, when he returned to Scotland he received a fine of £150 a record at the time and was suspended from playing until May 1951. Bobby would eventually opt to move to Dundee rather than Lanarkshire.

Saturday 21st February 1953

Motherwell meet Aberdeen in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup. The tie proved to be a classic as the sides drew 5-5 at Pittodrie, however the replay at Fir Park four days later is perhaps best forgotten as the Dons romped to a 1-6 victory.

Saturday 22nd February 1930

George Stevenson becomes the first ‘Well player to get on the scoresheet for Scotland. He netted the third goal in a 3-1 win over Northern Ireland in the British International Championship. He was once the clubs most capped player but over time the likes of Tommy Coyne, Simo Valakari and finally Stephen Craigan went on to hold that honour, however he is the top of the list for ‘Well players representing Scotland with 12 caps and 4 goals.

Wednesday 22nd February 2023

Stuart Kettlewell is named the new manager of Motherwell, he enjoyed two wins on the bounce over St Mirren and Hearts in his caretaker role which impressed the board enough to offer him the role. The former Ross County manager had actually applied for the Motherwell job after the departure of Graham Alexander at the start of the season but ultimately lost out to Steven Hammell. Kettlewell was already on the books at the club as he took up the role of lead development coach on the 3rd October 2022.

Tuesday 23rd February 1943

Manager, John Hunter reports to the board that he was successful in adding two new additions to his playing squad, John Russell arrives from Pollock and A. Miller from Newarthill Hearts.

Monday 24th February 1913

Club manager John ‘Sailor’ Hunter has another job added to his remit as he is appointed the club’s new Secretary due to Mr W.H. Barrie and his family deciding to emigrate abroad.

Friday 24th February 1956

Manager, Bobby Ancell reports that he approached Preston North End about the possibility of playing a friendly at Fir Park under the grounds new floodlighting system. The English club accept the offer with a guarantee of £500 for playing – the fixture will go ahead on the 29th February with a 19:15 kick off.

Wednesday 25th February 1998

As newly appointed manager Harri Kampman watched from the stands, caretaker boss Jim Griffin leads the side to a 2-1 win over St Johnstone at Fir Park thanks to a double from Tommy Coyne.

Monday 25th February 2008

At the club’s 102nd AGM, John Boyle was appointed the club’s chairman in which would be his second spell. During his first reign he had stepped down due to the club falling into administration five years previously. He had remained the majority shareholder but over the years despite the club being available to the right buyer no one was forthcoming so he remained involved. Another interesting point from the AGM was raised when it was discussed about the possibility of moving away from Fir Park to a potential new home, all avenues would be explored.

Tuesday 25th February 2014

‘Well crash to a disappointing 3-0 loss at the hands of St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park. The only notable event for Motherwell was the debut of Academy graduate Dale Shirkie who came on as a late substitute, this however would be his one and only appearance for the Steelmen, he later joins Ayr United.

Saturday 25th February 2017

Motherwell put in a dismal showing as they get beat 1-5 by Dundee at Fir Park with all the goals being scored in the first half. Some fans departed the stands in disgust and started a protest outside the Main Stand. It proved to be the final nail in the coffin for Mark McGhee as his second stint as manager would be over in a few days.

Saturday 26th February 1977

An experienced ‘Well side dispatched a youthful and exuberant St Mirren side from the Scottish Cup by winning 2-1 at Fir Park in front of 27,000. Buddies manager Alex Ferguson didn’t take the result well at all due to the robust approach on his young side.

Thursday 26th February 2015

The club pull off a massive coup by signing former striker Scott McDonald who had recently departed Millwall. The former Australia international had played for Celtic and Middlesbrough since leaving Fir Park in 2007.

Tuesday 27th February 1940

The club give Hibernian Football Club permission to have the services of forward Davie Mathie for the remainder of the season.

Sunday 27th February 2011

Motherwell defeat Celtic 2-0 at Fir Park, John Sutton scored after only two minutes after a defensive mix up before he slotted home a penalty shortly after half time.

Wednesday 27th February 2013

Motherwell record a fine 2-1 victory over Celtic in a midweek clash at Fir Park thanks to goals from Chris Humphrey and Michael Higdon.

Monday 28th February 1921

The club receive a letter from the SFA which state: Clubs are requested to refuse admission to any person carrying flags, bugles etc… and to prevent known delinquents from entering their grounds.

Tuesday 28th February 2017

Mark McGhee is sacked as manager bringing an end to his second spell with the club, heavy defeats during the month against Aberdeen (7-2) and Dundee (5-1) and a general dissatisfaction would have a factor in his departure. He leaves the club three points above the relegation zone. First team coach Stephen Robinson will take over as caretaker until a new man is appointed.

Wednesday 29th February 1956

Motherwell break in their new Fir Park floodlighting system with a glamour friendly against English side Preston North End. The ‘Well lose 2-3 in front of a bumper crowd. Interestingly, a young player who recently joined the club by the name of Pat Quinn makes an appearance from the bench, his first in Claret and Amber.

Undated February 1984

The club finally succumbed to the sponsorship trends that had hit football as they announced their first ever shirt sponsor, Scottish Brewers would adorn the famous claret and amber but this partnership would only last until the end of the season.

Left Arrow Right Arrow