Thursday 3rd September 1998

Tricky winger Pat Nevin signs for the club arriving from Kilmarnock. Not only will he join the playing staff but he will also be appointed the chief executive by chairman John Boyle.

Tuesday 5th September 1939

The Board read out a letter (3/9/39) which was submitted from George Lamont – Chief Constable which essentially stated: “I have to inform you that the following regulation comes into force today. You, as the responsible person for the premises mentioned below, will be held responsible for carrying out the regulation ‘Closing of places of entertainment and prohibition of meetings’ – it has been decided that on the outbreak of war all places of entertainment should be closed immediately. Sports gathering and public meetings of all kinds which involve large numbers of people congregating together, would also be prohibited” Premises referred to: Motherwell Football Field.

Saturday 5th September 2015

Motherwell took on English side Bolton Wanderers in Keith Lasley’s Testimonial match. The Trotters won the game 2-1, the ‘Well side had a few guest appearances from Stevie Kirk to Lasley’s former team mate Stephen Craigan. Keith’s toddler son Alfie breezed past the Bolton defence with virtually the last kick of the ball to get a consolation.

Tuesday 6th September 1955

The club decide that former Hull City, Queen of the South and Dundee goalkeeper, Reuben Bennett will be appointed as Assistant Trainer.

Tuesday 7th September 1993

Midfielder, Paul Lambert joins the club after Tommy McLean purchases him from St Mirren for a few of £250,000.

Tuesday 8th September 1936

Partick Thistle agreed to Motherwell’s price tag regarding the transfer of John McMenemy. The player left to join the Firhill outfit for a fee of £1,000.

Wednesday 9th September 1953

Junior side Bellshill Athletic officially opened their new Brandon Park ground. To mark the occasion an exhibition match was setup but it was Motherwell who would actually square off against Third Lanark. The side from Glasgow triumphed 4-1.

Tuesday 9th September 1997

Having only been on the books at Fir Park for a matter of months Austrian duo Mario Dorner and Franz Resch left under a cloud and joined English Third Division side Darlington.

Tuesday 10th September 2002

Live on the BBC, Motherwell record a hard fought win over Celtic at Fir Park. Substitute Shaun Fagan opened the scoring on the 77th minute with a diving header and James McFadden slotted home from the spot only a matter of minutes later. John Hartson pulled one back for the Bhoys on the 88th minute making it a nervy finish as they threw caution to the wind in search for an equaliser.

German defender Daniel Sengewald made his long awaited debut having been injured for the majority of his stay at the club up until this point.

Tuesday 11th September 1923

The Board discussed outside-right Russell Allan. It was reported that the player left the field of play in a match versus Rangers – he was apparently annoyed by the conduct of the crowd with many showing hostility towards him, Russell also failed to show for training. It was agreed by the Board that he would be suspended in the meantime pending an explanation. Subsequently on the 25th September he was loaned out to Dykehead until the end of the current season.

Saturday 14th September 1974

Ian St John took charge of the side for the last time as ‘Well defeated Ayr United 4-0 at Fir Park. He had missed out on the Leeds United position to Brian Clough in July but when Portsmouth chairman John Deacon arrived at his house promising him a huge treasure chest to build his own squad and with the club’s plans to build a new stadium he couldn’t refuse the position and accepted the role at Fratton Park. However the former ‘Well favourite admitted later that this was a massive mistake as the funds he was promised never materialised and Portsmouth tumbled down the leagues as he struggled to work with the limited resources available.

Monday 16th September 1935

The Board discuss a situation regarding Willie Telfer, the player had to go through an operation due to an ulcer. Club official’s believe he will likely not play again this season. According to his contract he isn’t entitled to claim wages due to illness but after careful consideration the Board decide to pay him a weekly wage of £3 until he gets back to active training.

Saturday 16th September 1950

Motherwell pull off a stunning victory at Parkhead against Celtic in the 1st leg of the Scottish League Cup Quarter Final tie beating the Glasgow side 4-1 in front of 50,000+ fans. McPhail had put the Bhoy’s in front after only 2 minutes but ‘Well rallied back with a quick equaliser by Watson minutes later, further goals by Forrest, Hunter and an own goal by Haughney secured a fine win. The side did however fall to a 0-1 defeat at Fir Park four days later in the second leg but thanks to the performance in the first match they progressed to the semi’s, Ayr United lay in wait.

Friday 17th September 1937

Former player Bertie Thomson dies of heart failure, the winger was only 30 years old. He had been on the books at Fir Park only a year previously but had given up football at a premature age as he had failed to live up to the form he had enjoyed with Celtic. Perhaps even sadder was the fact his death coincided with his daughters 3rd birthday.

Saturday 17th September 2016

Derby day joy for Motherwell as they beat Hamilton Accies 4-2 at Fir Park. Striker, Louis Moult enjoyed a fruitful day in front of goal as he scoring all of ‘Well’s goals, including a first half hat trick which took 13 minutes to achieve with the goals coming on the 8th, 13th and 21st minutes respectively.

Tuesday 18th September 2001

Manager, Billy Davies is sacked after a dismal start to the season. The squad had been streamlined over the summer due to massive financial cuts and many of the players he recruited over the summer had failed to shine. He had failed to win in seven games but a 5-2 and 4-2 loss to Dunfermline Athletic and Aberdeen respectively had put pressure on early. A 3-0 defeat at Ibrox sealed his fate.

Tuesday 19th September 1939

The Board received a letter from the council which was read out at a meeting in-regards to the outbreak of war – “All football in Scotland shall be suspended until further notice. All contracts between clubs and players shall be suspended from 3rd September 1939 – the date of the Government decree”.

Tuesday 19th September 1950

Manager, George Stevenson reports to the board that Third Lanark have accepted the price tag of £3,000 the club have set for the services of Willie McCall.

Monday 22nd September 1952

The SFA suggested to Motherwell (Scottish Cup holders) and Hibernian (Scottish League Champions) to play a match at Firhill on behalf of the fund which was being raised in connection in-regards to the Police Shooting which occurred in Glasgow on the 4th September. A trophy will be gifted to the winners under the patronage of the Lord Provost of Glasgow. Both sides had no qualms in playing the challenge match. ‘Well ran out 5-1 winners. The side lined up: Johnston, Kilmarnock, Shaw, Cox, Paton, Redpath, Sloan, Dawson, Kelly, Forrest and Aitkenhead.

Saturday 22nd September 2001

Caretaker managers John Philliben and Miodrag Krivokapić took charge for the first time as the side took on Hearts at Fir Park four days after the sacking of Billy Davies. Motherwell had failed to win any of their previous seven SPL fixtures but the side put in a fine performance as they recorded a 2-0 win with David Kelly and Stuart Elliott netting.

Monday 23rd September 1918

The Motherwell Directors were unhappy with the performance of Jimmy Archibald against Hibernian (0-0) at Fir Park on the 14th of the month as they deemed him a non-trier. After discussion the Secretary was instructed to write to the player giving him notice of termination of his agreement at the end of four weeks. The wing half would however last until March 1919 when he was sold to Tottenham Hotspur for £100.

Tuesday 23rd September 1924

The Board granted permission to the Evening Times (Glasgow) which allowed them to install a telephone box at Fir Park.

Saturday 24th September 1927

Motherwell draw 1-1 with Rangers. Prior to the game the club Secretary had reported to the Board that he engaged two horses to cart ashes to Fir Park which was to increase the holding capacity of the ground.

Wednesday 24th September 1997

A frustrating episode had been brewing over the summer as goalkeeper Scott Howie refused to sign a new contract, teams were interested in signing him but as the club were entitled to a transfer fee they refused to release him. The whole scenario had left the club short on the keeper front as Stevie Woods was the only other available. On this date a Nigerian goalie arrived in Lanarkshire, aged 22 he had 16 full caps for his country and a gold medal from the 1996 Olympics, Emmanuel Babayaro went in between the sticks in reserve match against Hibernian in a 1-0 win. Manager Alex McLeish stated – “Emmanuel handled things well and looks more than a decent goalkeeper. He came and collected some difficult crosses and in general looked comfortable. We realise it may be difficult to sign him but we’ll assess the situation over the next few days” – Emmanuels brother was Celestine Babayaro of Chelsea and Newcastle United fame. Despite impressing the clubs management a deal never materialised.

Tuesday 25th September 2001

Motherwell crashed out the League Cup after falling to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Airdrieonians, former striker Owen Coyle had put the Diamonds ahead after 12 minutes via a penalty kick, but veteran striker David Kelly equalised on the 56th minute, with only 5 minutes left to play midfielder Keith Lasley sent a rocket shot into the top corner of his own net when he tried to intercept the ball, certainly a finish you would have been proud of if you scored it at the right end.

Little did we know at the time though, this would be the last time the sides would ever meet as Airdrie would be liquidated the following year, a new guise was created when Jim Ballantyne who took over Clydebank and renamed them Airdrie United, they were allowed to revert to the original club’s name Airdrieonians in 2013.

Tuesday 27th September 1910

The Board of Directors agree to offer Rangers FC £250 for the services of William MacPherson, however the transfer never materialised.

Undated September 1958

Motherwell signed John Cattenach, a native of Glasgow and a 6’ 3” centre half from Annbank Juniors after he impressed the clubs management in a reserve match.

Left Arrow Right Arrow