Tony Shepherd

Tony ShepherdTony was with Celtic from 1983 when he stepped up from Celtic Boys Club. He made 28 League appearances for the Bhoys and netted 3 goals. His biggest highlight at Parkhead was perhaps making an appearance in the 1986 League Cup Final, Celtic would of course go on to lose the match, Tony was almost sent off amid great controversy when he was adjudged to have struck the referee from behind after the dismissal of Mo Johnston and Tony was given his matching orders, but the linesman had seen the incident where a fan had thrown a coin on the field and the red card was swiftly rescinded. Future ‘Well favourite Davie Cooper scored the winner in that Final.

As he slipped out of favour at Parkhead, he was eventually shipped out on loan to Bristol City before joining Carlisle United in 1988 despite Tommy McLeans best attempts to bring him to Fir Park. Tony was a regular at Brunton Park, McLean obviously kept tabs on his progress and in the summer of 1991 he would pay Carlisle £50,000 for his services. He made his debut coming on as a substitute in a 1-0 win over Airdrie on August 1991. His time at Motherwell was hardly a success as he would struggle to break into the first team, he will certainly go down as one of Tommy McLeans least successful splurges into the transfer market.

He would later play in Northern Ireland with Portadown, Cliftonville and Glenavon as well as turning out for Ayr, Partick, Albion Rovers and Stranraer before moving onto the Junior ranks. After finishing his career he would join the Fire Service and would be based locally in Lanarkshire.

Anthony Shepherd
 5′ 9″
10st 8lbs
Date of Birth:
16th November 1966
Place of Birth:

Football Career:

 Celtic 1985 1989
Bristol City (Loan) 1988
Carlisle United 1989 1991
 Motherwell 1991  1993 
Portadown 1993 1995
Partick Thistle 1995
Ayr United 1995 1996
Stranraer 1996
Glenavon 1996
Cliftonville 1996 1997
Albion Rovers 1997 1998

Well Career:

Apps Goals
3 (7) 0
Scottish Cup:
0 0
League Cup:
0 0
0 0
3 (7) 0