22nd October 1932



4 – 1


Division One
Saturday, October 22nd, 1932
Celtic Park, Glasgow. Att 20,000

Alex Thomson (9)
Hugh Smith (34)
John Crum (52, 83)
Willie McFadyen (20)

Joe Kennaway
William Cook
Bobby Hogg
Peter Wilson
Jimmy McStay
Chic Geatons
Charlie Napier
Alex Thomson
John Crum
Hugh Smith
Hugh O’Donnell
Alan McClory
Willie Dowall
Ben Ellis
Hughie Wales
Allan Craig
Willie Telfer
Johnny Murdoch
John McMenemy
Willie McFadyen
Willie Moffat
Bobby Ferrier

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

D. Reilly (Referee)

Match Report

The Scotsman – Monday, 24th October 1932, page 14


It was unfortunate that the weather broke down for the Celtic-Motherwell match at Glasgow, as under ordinary conditions the 20,000 attendance at Parkhead would have been almost doubled. The Celtic made an alteration in the team who have been playing during the past few weeks, Crum coming in at centre forward instead of F. O’Donnell.

Stevenson was absent from the champions’ side owing to the injury he received in the League international match in mid-week.

The opening exchanges were all in favour of the Celtic, who settled down immediately to a splendid game, in which Napier and Thomson on the right wing were always prominent. Ably supported by their half-backs, the home attack pressed eagerly, and from a corner kick Thomson headed the ball past McClory.

For several minutes it appeared as if the home team were to add to their score, but good saving by the goalkeeper beat them back.

Almost twenty minutes had been played when Motherwell equalised, the ball skidding off one of McStay’s boots to McFadyen for the centre to score. Motherwell nearly, had another goal in the next minute, but danger was averted, and the Celtic started to take control of the game once more.

Ten minutes from the interval their pressure met with reward when Smith headed the ball through from a cross by Napier. And they lost no time in adding to their total on resuming after the interval. Crum finished a splendid piece of work by scoring the third goal following seven minutes’ play.

From that point the home team were much superior, and fully deserved their fourth goal, obtained shortly before the finish by Crum, the new man. There was no question as to the superiority of the winners, whose halves and forwards combined splendidly. Crum led the front line well, and he gave Craig a hard ninety minutes.

Motherwell’s attack got poor support from the men behind, who were too busily employed otherwise. McClory did well, and also Dowall, but Ellis was no match for Napier, who was the finest forward on view.

Newspaper Match Report versus Celtic