18th August 2001



4 – 2


Scottish Premier League
Saturday, August 18th, 2001
Pittodrie, Aberdeen. Att. 10,988

Ben Thornley (20)
Robbie Winters (34)
Darren Mackie (55)
Hicham Zerouali (75)
Karl Ready (29)
David Kelly (31)

David Preece
Kevin McNaughton
Phil McGuire
Derek Whyte
Jamie McAllister
Cato Guntveit
Darren Young
Roberto Bisconti
Ben Thornley
Darren Mackie
Robbie Winters
Mark Brown
Martyn Corrigan
Greg Strong
Karl Ready
Stevie Hammell
Roberto Martinez
Scott Leitch
Andy Dow
Kevin Twaddle
David Kelly
Stuart Elliott

Ryan Esson
Thomas Solberg
Calum Bett
Fergus Tiernan
Hicham Zerouali
Stevie Woods
Eddie Forrest
Stephen Cosgrove
Derek Adams
Neil Tarrant

Hicham Zerouali for Ben Thornley (62)
Calum Bett for Robbie Winters (81)
Neil Tarrant for Roberto Martinez (59)
Stephen Cosgrove for Scott Leitch (63)
Eddie Forrest for Greg Strong (74)

Cato Guntveit
Darren Mackie
Greg Strong
Roberto Martinez
David Kelly
Stuart Elliott

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Somers (Referee)

Match Report

From BBC Sport

Aberdeen claimed their first points and scored their first goals of the season in an entertaining game with Motherwell at Pittodrie.

An end-to-end first half saw the teams tied at 2-2 with Ben Thornley and Robbie Winters scoring for Ebbe Skovdahl’s men and Karl Ready and David Kelly netting for the visitors.

The Dons gained the upper hand in the second 45 minutes and the points were secured when Darren Mackie and Hicham Zerouali gave the home fans something to cheer about. Aberdeen made changes from the team which went down tamely to Hibs last week, dropping Thomas Solberg and Calum Bett, while Derek Young missed out through injury.

In came Cato Guntveit, Jamie McAllister and Mackie, the latter teaming up with Winters in the home team’s new-look 4-4-2 system.

Motherwell manager Billy Davies made one change, bringing in Stuart Elliott for Neil Tarrant, who dropped down to the bench.

The home side began the game strongly forcing a series of early corners and had the visitors defending desperately to keep their goal intact.

However, it was Motherwell who nearly took a surprise lead in the 15th minute when Kelly’s volley from eight yards hit the post and bounced to safety.

Aberdeen composed themselves and five minutes later raced into the lead with their first league goal of the season.

A corner was cleared to the edge of the Motherwell box and ex-Manchester United winger Ben Thornley thumped in a volley that took a wicked deflection off Scott Leitch and went high into the net.

In the 26th minute, the visitors equalised with a simple goal.
Former Don, Andy Dow, swung in a corner and defender Ready rose to head home from three yards out.

Four minutes later the visitors took the lead and Dow once again was involved.
The midfielder cleverly flicked a free-kick over Aberdeen’s defensive wall and Kelly raced in to lash a volley home from 12 yards out.

Three minutes later the Dons equalised after Ready had appeared to handle the ball at the edge of the six-yard box.

The game seemed to stop momentarily as the Dons players claimed their penalty, allowing the ever-alert Winters in to shoot past Brown from close range.

The game flowed from end-to-end and there always seemed a prospect of a goal when either side attacked.

It was no surprise when the home side took the lead for the second time after 54 minutes.

Darren Mackie picked up the ball midway into the Motherwell half and drove towards their box with the visiting defenders retreating.

He shaped to pass to Winters, but instead blasted a glorious shot past Brown from the edge of the penalty area.

Aberdeen were on the ascendancy now and for long spells had the Fir Park men on the back foot.

Substitute Zerouali added a fourth goal in the 75th minute to extend the home team’s advantage.