25th September 2001



2 – 1


League Cup – Second Round
Tueaday, September 25th, 2001
Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie. Att. 3,369

Owen Coyle (12 pen)
Keith Lasley (85 og)
David Kelly (56)

Allan Ferguson
Paul Armstrong
Craig McPherson
Sandy Stewart
Allan McManus
Kevin James
Lee Gardner
Neil MacFarlane
Owen Coyle
Anthony Smith
Mark Roberts
Mark Brown
Martyn Corrigan
Eddie Forrest
Karl Ready
Stevie Hammell
Scott Leitch
Keith Lasley
Stephen Pearson
Stephen Nicholas
Stuart Elliott
David Kelly

Neil Bennett
Robert Dunn
Darren Beesley
Colin McDonald
Stuart Taylor
Stevie Woods
Andy Dow
Stephen Cosgrove
Derek Adams
Neil Tarrant

Darren Beesley for Lee Gardner (63)
Stuart Taylor for Anthony Smith (79)
Derek Adams for Stuart Elliott (87)
Neil Tarrant for David Kelly (87)
Stephen Cosgrove for Scott Leitch (87)

Martyn Corrigan
Eddie Forrest
Scott Leitch
Anthony Smith

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Kevin Toner (Referee)

Match Report

From BBC Sport

Motherwell were dumped out of the CIS Insurance League Cup by local rivals Airdrie courtesy of a Keith Lasley own goal.

The high-flying First Division side proved too strong for struggling ‘Well after they took the lead early in the game through an Owen Coyle penalty.

David Kelly levelled for the Scottish Premier League side after the break but, with just five minutes of the game remaining, Lasley rammed the ball into his own net to hand the win to the Diamonds.

This Lanarkshire derby demonstrated that the gulf between the top of the First Division and second bottom of the SPL is not a large one with Airdrie matching Motherwell in all departments.

For all Motherwell’s pressure in the early minutes of the game, they struggled to create anything in front of goal and it was the home side who threatened first.

Coyle fed the ball through to Mark Roberts as he burst towards goal but Coyle’s pass was too long and cleared by goalkeeper Mark Brown after five minutes.

After 11 minutes referee Kevin Toner pointed to the spot after ruling that Karl Ready had brought down Kevin James.

Coyle calmly slid the ball past Brown.

Stuart Elliott in action versus Airdrieonians

Coyle was looking dangerous for the Diamonds and he managed to get on the end of a James cross but the striker hooked the ball well wide of the post.

As the game approached the half hour mark, Motherwell almost got back into the game when Eddie Forrest’s opportunist drive from 20 yards was well saved by Ferguson.

Sandy Stewart produced a great clearance from Stephen Pearson to maintain Airdrie’s lead.

Coyle produced an inch-perfect cross from the left wing but Lee Gardner’s superb diving header was just inches wide of the upright.

Airdrie were left regretting that miss two minutes later.

Stewart tried desperately to clear a Steven Hammell cross and smacked the ball off the underside of the crossbar – but Kelly pounced for Motherwell to bullet home a header from the rebound to level the scores.

Airdrie were unlucky not to go ahead again following a goalmouth scramble that saw both MacFarlane and Roberts denied before goalkeeper Brown eventually cleared.

With just five minutes to go, Airdrie clinched the win.

A long throw from Paul Armstrong was met by James, he flicked the header towards goal and Lasley – with plenty of space and under no pressure – fired the ball into his own net.


This would be the last game between the sides as Airdrieonians would go out of business at the end of the 2001/02 season.