28th July 2001


Dunfermline Athletic 

5 – 2


Scottish Premier League
Saturday, July 28th, 2001
East End Park, Dunfermline. Att. 4,830

Jack de Gier (8, 59)
Barry Nicholson (46, 70)
Lee Bullen (56)
David Kelly (25 pen)
Derek Adams (79)

Marco Ruitenbeek
Andrius Skerla
John Paul Potter
Lee Bullen
Chris McGroarty
Stephen Hampshire
David Nicholls
Barry Nicholson
Gary Mason
Jack de Gier
Stevie Crawford
Mark Brown
Martyn Corrigan
Stevie Hammell
Karl Ready
Greg Strong
Andy Dow
Roberto Martinez
Kevin Twaddle
Derek Adams
Stuart Elliott
David Kelly

Scott Thomson
Jason Dair
Kevin McLeish
Stewart Petrie
Greig McDonald
Stevie Woods
Eddie Forrest
Keith Lasley
Neil Tarrant
Stephen Nicholas

Jason Dair for Stephen Hampshire (45)
Stewart Petrie for Jack de Gier (73)
Neil Tarrant for Stevie Hammell (68)
Stephen Nicholas for Kevin Twaddle (72)
Keith Lasley for Roberto Martinez (74)

None. Karl Ready

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

John Rowbotham (Referee)

Match Report

Dunfermline Athletic went ahead after only eight minutes as new Dutch striker Jack de Gier latched onto a short pass back by Greg Strong, and fired high into the Motherwell net past the despairing Mark Brown in the’Well goal. Stevie Crawford had earlier blazed over the bar after he had been sent clean through.

Motherwell struggled to cope with the lively Pars side who were looking to add to their one goal lead, Karl Ready was booked following a series of clumsy challenges.

Derek Adams tried to pull a goal back when he came close with a header following a deep cross from the right. Seven minutes later, Motherwell were inches away from the equaliser when Twaddle squared the ball across the box for Stuart Elliott, who just could not capitalise as Motherwell continued to press.

The lead lasted 25 minutes until Motherwell’s own debutant striker David Kelly slotted home a penalty after Nicholson fouled Andy Dow. Buoyed by their equaliser, Motherwell could have taken the lead when a Twaddle cross was met by Elliott, but Marco Ruitenbeek punched clear.

Dunfermline got off to the perfect start in the second half when Scotland international Nicholson scored after 60 seconds. Ten minutes later, Dunfermline increased their lead when Lee Bullen made it three. Minutes later, de Gier claimed his second as Dunfermline began to run riot as Motherwell’s defence disintegrated.
Nicholson made it five after 70 minutes and claimed his second.

Keith Lasley (79) and Derek Adams (88) pulled two consolation goals back for Motherwell, but by then the damage had been done. Billy Davies and his shell-shocked Motherwell will have plenty to think about for next week, especially in defence.