2nd January 2002



2 – 0


Scottish Premier League
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2002
Parkhead, Glasgow. Att. 57,648

Henrik Larsson (81)
John Hartson (90)

Rob Douglas
Johan Mjällby
Bobo Baldé
Joos Valgaeren
Jackie McNamara
Neil Lennon
Paul Lambert
Stiliyan Petrov
Alan Thompson
Henrik Larsson
John Hartson
Stevie Woods
Martyn Corrigan
Greg Strong
Karl Ready
Stevie Hammell
Éric Deloumeaux
Keith Lasley
Yann Soloy
Andy Dow
James McFadden
David Kelly

Jonathan Gould
Bobby Petta
Ľubomír Moravčík
Jamie Smith
Shaun Maloney
Mark Brown
Roberto Martinez
Stephen Pearson
Derek Adams
Stuart Elliott

Ľubomír Moravčík for Stiliyan Petrov (66)
Bobby Petta for Bobo Baldé (78)
Stuart Elliott for Keith Lasley (87)

Alan Thompson Martyn Corrigan
Karl Ready
James McFadden
David Kelly

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Alan Freeland (Referee)

Match Report

From BBC Sport

Henrik Larsson and John Hartson finally broke Motherwell’s resolve with winning goals in the final 10 minutes.

It had looked like Well goalkeeper Stevie Woods would prove to be the hero after denying Celtic with a number of breathtaking saves.

Celtic had also squandered several gilt-edged chances, with Larsson the main offender, before the Swede finally broke the deadlock and Hartson added the second in the closing seconds.

Victory means that the defending champions open up a 13-point gap over second-top Rangers, whose game at Kilmarnock had become a victim of freezing temperatures.

Home manager Martin O’Neill had made one change from the side that crushed Dundee United 4-0 on Saturday.

Joos Valgaeren returned from suspension and replaced the injured Stephen Crainey.

Andy Dow was restored to the Motherwell line-up in an unfamiliar central midfield position as stand-in for suspended captain Scott Leitch.

Martyn Corrigan and James McFadden also came in for Derek Adams and Stuart Elliott.

The home crowd seemed subdued, perhaps by the news that O’Neill would not “dread” an approach from Manchester United to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson.

In-form striker Hartson almost brought them to life with a fluke after just three minutes.

The Welshman’s curled cross deceived Woods, who decided the ball was going out only to see it bounce off the crossbar.

Larsson headed straight at Woods from close range, then sent another effort on to the roof of the net before screwing an effort wide of the post.

Hartson struck the post after stretching to meet an Alan Thompson free kick.

When Thompson was more direct from a set-piece early in the second half, Woods had to divert the powerful effort over the bar.

The goalkeeper saved low to his left to deny Larsson and bettered that to prevent a Valgaeren shot nestling in the bottom corner.

Celtic almost paid the price after 63 minutes when Steven Hammell’s chip just had too much power to dip underneath the crossbar.

O’Neill went for the jugular by putting on the more attacking Lubo Moravcik and Bobby Petta – and it paid off.

Hartson knocked Paul Lambert’s long-ball into the path of Larsson, who stretched for the ball with Eric Deloumeaux and the ball ended up in the back of the net.

Larsson will claim the strike, although there were suggestions that it was an own goal.

Hartson ended Motherwell’s hopes of a late equaliser when he fired home Larsson’s centre from close range for his thirteenth goal in as many starts.