Friday 1st June 2007

After a dismal season Maurice Malpas resigned as manager, he had planned to stay and try and improve the club’s fortunes but after chairman John Boyle fired his assistant Paul Hegarty to make way for Scott Leitch, Mo quit in protest.

Wednesday 2nd June 2017

Despite losing 1-0 to Dundee United at Tannadice (18,371 attendance) in the 2nd leg of the Summer Cup Final, Motherwell would win their first silverware in 12 years as they had led 3-1 from the 1st leg at Fir Park.

United side – Mackay, Smith, Millar, Briggs, Neilson, Smith, Berg, Munro, Mitchell, Døssing, Gillespie.

‘Well side – McCloy, M. Thomson, McCallum, Aitken, Martis, Murray, Hunter, McBride, Delaney, I. Thomson, Weir.

Sunday 4th June 1922

Manchester City manager Ernest Mangall arrived at Fir Park as he was looking to purchase ‘Well forward Hughie Ferguson. Initially after asking if the player was available for transfer he made an offer of £3,500 which after much discussion was declined. The club hoped to achieve a fee of £4,000 but when an offer of £3,900 was made the Board unanimously accepted it, subject to Hughie wanting to move clubs and agreeing terms, which he subsequently declined.

Tuesday 5th June 1923

The club Secretary reported to the board that defender Jimmy Jackson’s transfer to Aberdeen has been carried through and the club will receive a fee of £1,000.

Monday 5th June 1939

It is decided that Welsh full back Ben Ellis will be appointed the captain for the upcoming 1939/40 season.

Thursday 5th June 2003

A trio of new additions arrived on this date as veteran goalkeeper Gordon Marshall arrived from Kilmarnock and Alex Burns and Stephen Craigan rejoined the club after departing Partick Thistle. The Firhill side didn’t take it too kindly that Motherwell who were in administration offered better deals to the duo than they could and vented their frustrations in the press.

Tuesday 5th June 2007

Forward, Scott McDonald is sold to Celtic for a fee of £700k. The club had already knocked back an offer for the Australian when Rangers offered around £350k back in January.

Tuesday 6th June 2017

Goalkeeper, Trevor Carson signs for the club on a three year deal arriving from Hartlepool United for an undisclosed fee.

Friday 8th June 2007

Former midfielder Brian Kerr appeared in the press and criticised the club after the sudden departure of manager Maurice Malpas. He stated that the manager had been put in an impossible position by the clubs budget constraints and further stated that Motherwell will always be a selling club. Kerr had departed Fir Park over the summer to join Hibernian.

Monday 9th June 1913

The Board of Directors decided a small bit of development would take place around the Fir Park. Firstly it was agreed that the pitch would be widened to meet international size and that the terracing would be extended which also included a new wall located at the Knowetop Primary School side.

Tuesday 10th June 1952

The manager reported that Jimmy Watson had been successful in transferring to English club Huddersfield Town for a fee of £10,250.

Furthermore the Board discussed Donald McLeod who had served the club with such distinction, they were prepared to let him leave the club so that he could take up the role as Assistant Trainer with Heart of Midlothian.

Saturday 10th June 1965

Striker, Joe McBride completes his move to Celtic for a fee of £22,000. He had submitted a transfer request the previous month.

Friday 10th June 1994

After a decade in the role as manager, Tommy McLean tendered his resignation. Having won the 1991 Scottish Cup and finishing 3rd in the league (1993/94) – the club’s best position since 1959, he had become increasingly frustrated with the Board as both parties had different opinions on the future direction of the club. It wasn’t long however before he was offered another job as he and assistant Tom Forsyth ended up at Tynecastle.

Sunday 11th June 1995

Tommy Coyne made a bit of history when he collected his twelfth international cap for the Republic of Ireland when he played in a 3-1 home defeat against Austria, he matched the cap record which had been set by George Stevenson which stretched all the way back to 1935 when he won the last of his twelve Scotland caps.

Friday 12th June 2015

After a dismal season which almost ended in relegation with only a playoff double header against Rangers (6-1 aggregate win) saving the clubs top flight status for another year, ten players were released: Bob McHugh, Iain Vigurs, Paul Lawson, Nathan Thomas, Ross Stewart, Adam Cummins, Zaine Francis-Angol, Simon Ramsden, Stuart Carswell and Fraser Kerr all moved on.

Wednesday 16th June 2004

Forward, Richie Foran joined the club on a free transfer from Carlisle United. It was later reported by manager Terry Butcher that it was his wife that had seen him playing in a VHS tape that was sent to him by the players agent, Terry and his wife had started viewing it but he left to do other tasks, his wife later said to him “You should sign him, he’s really good”.

Thursday 16th June 2005

Despite being second choice keeper, Barry John Corr was offered a new contract but he declined it as he wanted to play regularly so he departed Fir Park. Hindsight is a wonderful thing as his replacement Graeme Smith who joined from Rangers on the 25th June would be installed as first choice as veteran Gordon Marshall was injured in the first game of the 2005/06 season and wouldn’t appear for the club again.

Friday 17th June 1955

The club were spared relegation as the Scottish Football League met to discuss reconstruction of the Scottish top tier, the new ‘A’ Division would now be expanded from 16 teams to 18. The voting that was cast has 25 for it and 12 who opposed.

Saturday 18th June 1994

Striker, Tommy Coyne becomes the first player to represent the club at a World Cup as he played in Republic of Ireland’s 1-0 win over Italy which helped them progress onto the knockout phase of the competition.

Tuesday 18th June 2002

Despite the club being in administration they are able to source a new shirt sponsor as local business, The Untouchables sign a deal for £100,000 for the next two seasons which will also see their logo emblazoned upon the South Stand roof, they replace long serving Motorola who had sponsored the club since the early 1990’s.

Monday 18th June 2007

Mark McGhee is appointed the new manager of Motherwell, he replaces Maurice Malpas who resigned earlier in the month, he will be assisted by former ‘Well midfielder Scott Leitch.

Tuesday 19th June 2007

A weird transfer situation had arisen as the club had signed a pre-contract with midfielder Simon Mensing, it was Maurice Malpas who had signed the player but he had resigned from the manager position earlier in the month. Assistant manager Scott Leitch persuaded new boss Mark McGhee to take a chance on the player but he would only become a squad player in his time at Fir Park.

Thursday 19th June 2014

The club manage a fantastic piece of business as they sell Estonian international Henri Anger to German 2.Bundesliga side Erzgebirge Aue for an undisclosed fee. The striker had actually arrived at Motherwell on loan during at the beginning of the 2013/14 season but the move was made permanent in January 2014, in only a matter of month the club managed to secure a sizeable fee for his services.

Wednesday 20th June 1984

Tommy McLean didn’t take too long getting the cheque book out as he signed left back Derek Murray from his brothers Dundee United side for £5,000 who was his first signing as Motherwell manager. He started to mould a side capable of winning promotion from the First Division, this signing of course would be one of many arrivals from Tannadice over the years.

Friday 23rd June 1967

It was reported in the Wishaw Press that centre half Johnny Martis was mulling over a potential move to America. The side in question was Chicago Spurs, as they operated outwith an official structure it was reported the player could leave for free. A number of players in Scotland had previously done something similar but had suffered fines and suspensions upon their return. The move never materialised.

Thursday 23rd June 2016

A trio of new signings are announced as full back Richard Tait arrives from Grimsby Town, striker Jacob Blyth from Leicester City and defender Ben Heneghan from Chester.

Thursday 25th June 2015

After six years away from Motherwell, forward David Clarkson is a surprise signing by Ian Baraclough. He had departed Fir Park in 2009 when he joined Bristol Rovers for £800,000, he would also serve Brentford (loan), Bristol Rovers and Dundee.

Monday 27th June 1955

The board have a general discussion regarding the future of the club. It was agreed upon that the Chairman should ask George Stevenson to resign from his position as manager of the club.

Saturday 27th June 1998

The club managed to pull of a real coup when former player Brian McClair rejoined the side after departing Manchester United. Now in his veteran stages the midfielder was given the captaincy, sadly he would struggle to capture the form of his first spell and he departed early in the season to take on a coaching role at Blackburn Rovers.

Thursday 28th June 1979

Manager Ally McLeod sought a full time goalkeeper which signalled the end of Stuart Rennie, he was part of a deal which saw Hugh Sproat arrive at Fir Park from Ayr United.

Saturday 28th June 2003

After serving the club for nine years, goalkeeper Stevie Woods departed on a free transfer moving to First Division side St Mirren. He had played 160 first team games competing with the likes of Scott Howie, Ray Allan, Andy Goram, François Dubourdeau, Mikko Kavén and Mark Brown.

Wednesday 29th June 2016

The club come to a mutual agreement with veteran midfielder Stephen Pearson in that he can depart the club as he had an offer from Indian Super League side Atlético de Kolkata, he had previously played in India when he starred for Kerala Blasters in 2014.

Tuesday 30th June 1991

The cup winning side started to break apart as Tommy McLean decided to withdraw contracts which were on the table for Ally Maxwell and Craig Paterson as terms couldn’t be agreed.

Tuesday 30th June 2015

Motherwell sign forward Louis Moult from English Conference side Wrexham for an undisclosed fee.

Friday 30th June 2017

After training with the club for a short spell, Charles Dunne proves his fitness to the management and signs a one year deal. He had previously played under manager Stephen Robinson at English League One side Oldham Athletic but his year at Boundary Park was hampered by injury.

Left Arrow Right Arrow