Tuesday 1st January 1935

A forgettable derby day at Douglas Park as Motherwell tumbled to a 6-1 drubbing at the hands of the Acas. The side struggled through injuries to Thomson and Stevenson who both had to leave the field for lengthy treatment. Hugh Wales and Ben Ellis were also sent off. ‘Well staff were far from happy with the match officials performance and paid him a visit immediately after the match.

Saturday 1st January 2011

New manager Stuart McCall takes charge of his first game in the traditional New Year derby as Motherwell make the short jaunt over the River Clyde to face Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park. The game however proved to be quite a dull affair as the sides drew 0-0. Alan Gow and Nick Blackman would make their last appearances in claret and amber before departing the club.

Thursday 1st January 2015

The side headed to New Douglas Park for the traditional New Year Derby fixture which proved to be an instantly miserable occasion for the Steelmen. In driving wind and rain it looked like the game might be called off as one floodlight pylon at the Sainsbury’s end had failed before a ball had been kicked but the Referee decided to proceed with the game. Motherwell struggled with the occasion and crashed to a 5-0 defeat.

Thursday 2nd January 1958

Only a day after suffering a dismal 4-1 defeat in a Lanarkshire Derby against Airdrieonians at Broomfield, ‘Well were back in action as they played host to Hibernian. The side thankfully bounced back with a 3-1 win through goals from Weir, Kerr and St John. This game also saw the debut of John Martis who would go on to make well over 300 first team appearances in claret and amber, the centre half was a replacement for the legendary Andy Paton who had at this point drifted out of the side. Martis would give the club over ten years service and was capped for Scotland, he finished his senior career with East Fife whom he also managed.

Tuesday 3rd January 1933

The Board agree to accept a bid of £4,000 from Chelsea Football Club for the services of Allan Craig.

Sunday 3rd January 1954

Former ‘Well forward Davie Mathie dies at Law Hospital. The popular forward was only 34 years old. Born in Motherwell he had represented Wishaw Juniors, Derry City, Linfield, Clyde, Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock throughout his career.

Monday 3rd January 1983

‘Well dispatch Rangers in fine fashion by securing a 3-0 victory at Fir Park in front of 11,383. Brian McClair scored a lovely hat trick as the side took maximum points.

Saturday 3rd January 2004

Forward, David Clarkson was in fine fettle as he scored a perfect hat trick by scoring a goal with his left foot, right foot and a header as the side claimed at 3-1 win over Dundee United at Fir Park. His uncle Phil O’Donnell had rejoined the club the day before and came off the bench for the last ten minutes and got to celebrate with his nephew as he secured the hat trick on the 90th minute.

Saturday 3rd January 2009

Scottish football would say goodbye to another famous old ground as ‘Well took on St Mirren at Love Street in front of a bumper crowd of 10,189. The game was largely uneventful as the final score was 0-0 but Motherwell could feel aggrieved at a couple of penalty incidents which were rebuffed, it seemed that it was a day where referee Alan Muir didn’t want to be responsible for disappointing the Buddies.

Wednesday 3rd January 2018

Englishman, Curtis Main joins the club on a free transfer signing an 18 month contract after being released from Portsmouth.

Friday 4th January 2008

Phil O’Donnell’s funeral is held at St Mary’s church in Hamilton. Hundred’s of mourners lined the streets with many familiar faces associated with football from both north and south of the border in attendance to pay their respects. Tragically Phil had died six days earlier after collapsing on the pitch as he was about to be substituted in a match versus Dundee United.

Friday 5th January 2018

The club announced that left back Stevie Hammell will retire from playing at the end of the month and will now take up the role of the club’s Academy Director.

Wednesday 6th January 1954

Manager George Stevenson and several of the Motherwell playing squad attend the funeral of former forward Davie Mathie which took place at Airbles Cemetery.

Saturday 6th January 2007

Motherwell meet Airdrie United for the first time in a competitive fixture as the sides squared off in a Scottish Cup tie. Richie Foran’s headed goal was enough to secure a win at the Excelsior Stadium.

Saturday 7th January 1989

In front of 19,275 fans at Fir Park Motherwell managed to come back from being a goal down to win against Rangers 2-1. Kevin Drinkell had out the Govan side ahead before Fraser Wishart equalised. Gers defender Richard Gough didn’t have the best of days as his own goal secured the victory for the Steelmen.

Wednesday 8th January 1930

Tragic news would filter out of Dens Park in that former ‘Well hero Hughie Ferguson had taken his own life after a training session. The 34 year old was massively popular when he played with Motherwell, at Cardiff he scored the winning goal in a FA Cup Final win over Arsenal.

Tuesday 8th January 1935

Motherwell crashed to a humiliating loss versus Hamilton Academical in the New Year Derby to the score 6-1. At the Board meeting a copy of Referee H. Watson’s report was read out that stated both Hugh Wales and Ben Ellis had been sent off. A further report by the match official also noted that Manager John Hunter, Chairman Mr Ormiston and a Mr Duffy entered the refs dressing room shortly after the finish of the game.

Wednesday 8th January 1997

Motherwell complete a complex player plus cash transfer deal which sees midfielder Jamie Dolan head to Tannadice to join Dundee United whereas £75,000 plus Owen Coyle head to Fir Park. Manager Alex McLeish admitted he had been chasing the forward for some time but he couldn’t wait any longer as the club slumped to second bottom of the table.

Saturday 9th January 1993

Despite falling to a disappointing 0-2 loss at home to Rangers, it was the first time the new South Stand would be in operation. The impressive structure was sold out as Gers comfortably progressed into the next round of the Scottish Cup.

Sunday 9th January 2011

Motherwell beat Dundee 4-0 at Dens Park thanks to goals from Sutton (2), Jennings and Murphy. This was the start of a run that would see the Steelmen go all the way to this years Final. The match was live on SKY Sports but it was lucky to survive the elements, many Dundee fans had showed up earlier in the day to help assist the ground staff remove snow from the pitch and surrounding areas.

Tuesday 9th January 2018

Turkish forward Nadir Çiftçi joins the club on loan from Celtic until the end of the season. The former Dundee United player has struggled for form since leaving Tannadice in July 2015 when he was sold to Celtic for £1.5 million. He will link up with another new signing Curtis Main to form a new attacking line.

Friday 10th January 1958

Severe gales in the area caused considerable damage to Fir Park, most notably the East Enclosure, most of the roof had been ripped off and with it went most of the floodlighting system. Saturdays game has now been postponed.

Saturday 10th January 1959

Ian Gardiner is sold to Raith Rovers for a fee of £1,500. The club will receive an additional £1,500 should the Kirkcaldy club avoid relegation.

Tuesday 11th January 1927

At a board meeting a letter was read out from the club’s London Agent about a potential tour in Spain and Portugal. The Agent was looking for a letter of confirmation accepting a guarantee of £250 per match for up to 8 games plus expenses.

Wednesday 12th January 1966

Former Motherwell Manager and Secretary Mr John ‘Sailor’ Hunter passes away.

Tuesday 12th January 1999

Manager Billy Davies adds a keeper of vast experience in the shape of former Hibernian, Rangers and Scotland international Andy Goram, the 34 year old had brief stints with Notts County and Sheffield United since departing Ibrox at the end of last season.

Saturday 12th January 2008

The side return to action for the first time since the tragic death of captain Phil O’Donnell. After various postponements of SPL fixtures the club’s first match is a Scottish Cup tie versus Hearts at Tynecastle in the Fourth Round. It was an emotionally charged day as the ‘Well support filled the entire away stand, a banner in the shape of a jersey was unfurled as a tribute to Phil, it had his name and number emblazoned on it with the tagline ‘Brave as a Lion’ at the bottom, a term which was coined by Ally McCoist who was on commentary duties during the 91 final as O’Donnell put his body on the line to head home his first ever goal. In the game itself Motherwell struggled for any fluency and seemed to struggle with the occasion and at one point were losing 2-0, the side however managed to rally back and thanks to a double from Chris Porter it meant a replay would now be required at Fir Park.

Thursday 12th January 2023

CEO Alan Burrows resigns from his role. Alan was promoted to the role in 2014, and was the longest-serving CEO in the Scottish Premiership.

During his tenure leading the club, Motherwell finished third in the Premiership, played in Europa League and Europa Conference League qualifiers, reached two domestic cup finals and won the SFA Youth Cup for the first time.

Off the field, as the club transitioned to fan ownership, Alan presided over numerous club records including record turnover, two net profit records, a record transfer fee received, a record front of shirt sponsorship deal and the highest ever season ticket sales. He was also named the Scottish CEO of the Year at the Football Business Awards in 2019.

Later in the evening the club also announce the loan signing of Ollie Crankshaw from Stockport County.

Tuesday 13th January 1970

After serving the club for over 30 years, former PA announcer James Adams was rewarded with a complimentary season ticket for life. He was still enjoying it when the club entered their centenary season.

Monday 13th January 1997

Youngster Innes Ritchie departs the club to join First Division side East Fife.

Tuesday 14th January 1930

The Directors of Motherwell Football Club put on the record their extreme regret of their former popular player Hughie Ferguson and desires to express their heartfelt sympathy with his widow Jessie and other relatives. (Hugh took his own life at Dens Park, Dundee on the 8th January).

Saturday 15th January 1983

The side secured a 2-1 victory over Celtic at Fir Park. Tic keeper Pat Bonner fumbled a cross in the last minute which was subsequently swept home by ‘Well forward Brian McClair who had also netted the first. This win meant Motherwell had completed a fine January double over the Old Firm as Rangers were beaten 3-0 on the 3rd.

Tuesday 16th January 1996

Willie Falconer arrives at Motherwell from Celtic for a fee of around £200,000. The Striker had been a team mate of manager Alex McLeish at Aberdeen. He would go onto make his debut the same day as ‘Well travelled through to Rugby Park to face Kilmarnock. Perhaps he didn’t make the impression he wanted as he would miss a spot kick as the side lost 1-0 as Paul Wright netted the winner for Killie.

Monday 17th January 1983

Manager, Jock Wallace looks to reshape his squad in the fight against relegation – Bruce Cleland, Alex Forsyth and Chic McClelland are all released whereas John Gahagan, Brian McLaughlin and Hugh Sproat are all transfer listed.

Friday 18th January 2002

German striker Dirk Lehmann signed for the club on a free transfer arriving from English side Brighton and Hove Albion. He was a familiar face in Scottish football as he served Hibernian between 1999-2001, he was well known for his designer earrings.

Monday 18th January 2022

Nomadic forward, Tony Watt signs for Dundee United for an undisclosed fee, he was currently the Premiership’s top scorer. On Christmas Eve (2021) reports via various sources reported that he had signed a pre contract agreement with the Tannadice outfit.

Tuesday 19th January 1971

The Board agree to donate £500 to the Lord Provost Fund in-regards to the Ibrox Disaster which occurred on Saturday 2nd January 1971.

Thursday 20th January 2011

The club announce the signing of American forward Mike Grella who arrives on loan from Leeds United on a deal until the end of the season. However a few hours later the transfer is cancelled, as it transpires rules state a player can’t play for more than two teams in a league season. During the first half of the 2010/11 campaign Grella had been on loan at Carlisle United but he had also made a handful of appearances for his parent club Leeds in August which essentially scuppered his deal.

Friday 21st January 2000

Martyn Corrigan arrives at the club signing from Falkirk for a fee of £30,000. Manager Billy Davies tried to sign the young full back earlier in the season but the player ended up in Finland before returning to Brockville. Initially it took time for Martyn to settle as he had to displace Michel Doesburg, his early form wasn’t consistent as he tried to adapt to the pace of the SPL. Over time he became a great addition to the squad, not only did he play as a right back but he eventually transitioned into a centre back. Nicknamed ‘Kaiser’ he was capped twice by the Scotland B side. He made well over 250 competitive appearances for the club.

Sunday 22nd January 2006

The side fell to a 1-3 defeat at the hands of Celtic. The ‘Well goal however from Jim Hamilton is perhaps one of the best goals you’ll ever see at Fir Park, midfielder Brian Kerr sent in an early cross and Jim was lingering at the edge of the box, he met the ball sweetly first time and the ball curled right into the top corner past the despairing Celtic keeper Artur Boruc. The goal of course won a trio of awards – Goal of the Month, Goal of the Season and later SPL Goal of the Decade.

Tuesday 22nd January 2008

Ten days after drawing the emotionally charged Scottish Cup encounter with Hearts at Tynecastle, ‘Well would triumph in the replay winning 1-0 thanks to a Ross McCormack penalty.

Saturday 23rd January 1954

Motherwell demolish Dundee United 12-1 at Fir Park in a Division Two fixture, to this day it stands as ‘Wells record win and United’s biggest loss. Funnily enough it was the Tannadice outfit who took the lead after only one minute via Andy Tait but it wasn’t long before Motherwell came roaring back and equalised. Wilson Humphries wrote himself into the ‘Well folklore by scoring a double hat trick, Willie Redpath hit a double and Jackie Hunter scored four.

Saturday 23rd January 1982

Motherwell were performing well in the First Division and most fans fancied their chances when they were drawn to face Premier League Aberdeen at home. Frustratingly the club were to be on the end of an unwanted record as Dons forward John Hewitt slotted past goalkeeper Hugh Sproat after only 9 seconds, the fastest goal in Scottish Cup history. Despite the team battling on for the next 89 minutes and 51 seconds they couldn’t break though the Aberdeen defence and fell to a 0-1 defeat.

Tuesday 23rd January 1996

Newspaper reports state that manager Alex McLeish made a bid for veteran Aberdeen Striker Duncan Shearer but Dons manager Roy Aitken refused to let the 33 year old depart Pittodrie.

Tuesday 23rd January 2018

Popular defender Peter Hartley’s loan deal is made into a permanent transfer with a deal signed up until 2020. The club made a video to announce the signing which was a parody of the one Manchester United released to showcase their big signing Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal. In the video Hartley plays a miniature piano and the hashtag “#Pete6” was used. The video amassed well over 10 million views and gained worldwide attention with a positive response.

Saturday 24th January 1976

Perhaps one of the clubs finest comebacks, trailing 2-0 to Celtic in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup in front of a packed Fir Park (25,000+), goals from Kenny Dalglish and Andy Lynch had the Celts cruising by the 39th minute. In the second half ‘Well boss Willie McLean had the side throw caution to the wind and by the 61st minute mark the side had drawn level thanks to goals from Bobby Graham and Ian Taylor. On the 70th minute Willie Pettigrew chased a long ball and outpaced a stationary Celtic defence and he arrowed a shot low which bounced in off the post which sealed a famous 3-2 win.

Tuesday 24th January 1933

John’ Sailor’ Hunter reported to the Motherwell Board that Airdrieonians FC have accepted the £2,000 bid the club had placed for Jimmy Crapnell.

Wednesday 24th January 2018

Left back Stevie Hammell makes his last appearance for the club in a 2-0 win over Ross County at Fir Park. Hammell came on as a late substitute, a Harry Souttar own goal and an effort from Curtis Main sealed the victory for the Steelmen. He is then appointed the Academy Director. Stevie is the clubs post war record appearance holder.

Saturday 25th January 1992

The side travelled to Somerset Park to face Ayr United in the Scottish Cup as they looked to defend their crown, The Honest Men proved to be a tricky test, Brian Martin had put the Steelmen ahead but Duncan George equalised for Ayr and the game finished 1-1. Thankfully in the replay at Fir Park their was no mistake with the side winning 4-1.

Tuesday 26th January 1937

John Hunter reported to the board that he had been successful in signing outside left Joe Johnston from Renfrew Juniors.

Monday 27th January 1997

The Scottish Cup draw delivers an exciting prospect as Motherwell are drawn out to face Lanarkshire neighbours Hamilton Acadmeical in the Fourth Round. The two sides hadn’t met in a competitive tie since ‘Well beat them 1-0 at Fir Park on the 1st April 1989.

Thursday 28th January 1999

The club break their record signing fee when John Spencer arrives for £500,000+ from english Premiership side Everton. The forward had already enjoyed a successful loan spell at Fir Park and attempts were made to sign him on a permanent deal but it had become a long drawn out saga.

Saturday 29th January 1972

Motherwell defeat St Johnstone 2-0 at Fir Park. Joe Wark had to deputise in goal for over 45 minutes as goalkeeper Billy Ritchie was taken off with a broken leg.

Monday 29th January 1996

The club agree a new deal with tech giant Motorola to remain the clubs shirt sponsor up until the year 2000.

Tuesday 30th January 1996

Motherwell fall to a disappointing 0-2 defeat at home against Aberdeen in the Third Round of the Tennant’s Scottish Cup which was shown live on Sky TV. Frustratingly for the Steelmen they couldn’t field new Striker Willie Falconer as the SFA rules mean new signings must be signed two weeks before cup matches. Despite the date of the game now being 15 days after Falconer had signed for the club the SFA insist that they go by the original fixture date which was Saturday the 27th January.

Sunday 30th January 2011

Rangers defeat Motherwell 2-1 in the Semi Final of the Scottish League Cup in front of 23,432 fans at Hampden. Maurice Edu put the Gers one to the good after 20 minutes before ‘Well captain Keith Lasley equalised on the 66th minute. Stevie Naismith managed to net the winner with 15 minutes remaining.

Saturday 31st January 2015

New signing Louis Laing has a debut to forget against St Johnstone, the young defender only lasted 25 minutes as he was shown a straight red card by Referee Willie Collum for a last man challenge. Motherwell managed to salvage a point by scoring a late equaliser through John Sutton (1-1).

Friday 31st January 2020

19 year old forward, James Scott is sold to English Championship side Hull City for a fee which could eventually reach £1.5 million. James made 42 first team appearances scoring 7 goals in all competitions.

Left Arrow Right Arrow